Sell goods or services door-to-door or on the street.
- Balloon Seller
- Beauty Consultant
- Beauty Counselor
- Book Agent
- Book Canvasser
- Book Solicitor
- Candy Butcher
- Deliver merchandise and collect payment.
- Write and record orders for merchandise or enter orders into computers.
- Explain products or services and prices and demonstrate use of products.
- Contact customers to persuade them to purchase merchandise or services.
- Arrange buying parties and solicit sponsorship of such parties to sell merchandise.
- Answer questions about product features and benefits.
- Circulate among potential customers or travel by foot, truck, automobile, or bicycle to deliver or sell merchandise or services.
- Develop prospect lists.
- Distribute product samples or literature that details products or services.
- Order or purchase supplies.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $26,600.00 with most people making between $18,190.00 and $45,400.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 22,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 20,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 490 replacement openings for approximately 490 total annual openings.
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
collegeThe Ailey School
collegeCUNY College of Staten Island
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeColumbia University in the City of New York
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo