Compile information and records to draw up purchase orders for procurement of materials and services.
- Departmental Buyer
- Film Replacement Orderer
- Procurement Agent
- Procurement Analyst
- Procurement Assistant
- Procurement Clerk
- Procurement Officer
- Procurement Specialist
- Procurement Technician
- Prepare purchase orders and send copies to suppliers and to departments originating requests.
- Determine if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when necessary.
- Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancellations.
- Perform buying duties when necessary.
- Contact suppliers in order to schedule or expedite deliveries and to resolve shortages, missed or late deliveries, and other problems.
- Review requisition orders in order to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications.
- Prepare, maintain, and review purchasing files, reports and price lists.
- Compare prices, specifications, and delivery dates in order to determine the best bid among potential suppliers.
- Track the status of requisitions, contracts, and orders.
- Calculate costs of orders, and charge or forward invoices to appropriate accounts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $41,630 with most people making between $24,230 and $57,530
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 7,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 8,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 80 openings due to growth and about 300 replacement openings for approximately 380 total annual openings.
- Tax Preparers
- Billing, Cost, and Rate Clerks
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Municipal Clerks
- Credit Authorizers
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Legal Secretaries
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
collegeCollege of the Sequoias
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorMedical Administrative/Executive Assistant and Medical Secretary
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping