Assist patients in obtaining services, understanding policies and making health care decisions.
- Admissions Coordinator
- Case Manager
- Medicaid Service Coordinator (MSC)
- Patient Access Representative
- Patient Access Specialist
- Patient Advocate
- Patient Care Coordinator
- Patient Coordinator
- Patient Financial Representative
- Patient Ombudsperson
- Coordinate communication between patients, family members, medical staff, administrative staff, or regulatory agencies.
- Interview patients or their representatives to identify problems relating to care.
- Maintain knowledge of community services and resources available to patients.
- Refer patients to appropriate health care services or resources.
- Investigate and direct patient inquiries or complaints to appropriate medical staff members and follow up to ensure satisfactory resolution.
- Explain policies, procedures, or services to patients using medical or administrative knowledge.
- Provide consultation or training to volunteers or staff on topics such as guest relations, patients' rights, and medical issues.
- Collect and report data on topics such as patient encounters and inter-institutional problems, making recommendations for change when appropriate.
- Read current literature, talk with colleagues, continue education, or participate in professional organizations or conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field.
- Identify and share research, recommendations, or other information regarding legal liabilities, risk management, or quality of care.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $38,860.00 with most people making between $23,190.00 and $59,280.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 197,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 233,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 3,650 openings due to growth and about 5,610 replacement openings for approximately 9,260 total annual openings.
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Residential Advisors
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
onetHealthcare Social Workers
collegeLoma Linda University
majorCritical Care Nursing
collegeSan Jose State University
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeSan Diego State University