Expedite and route movement of incoming and outgoing cargo and freight shipments in airline, train, and trucking terminals, and shipping docks. Take orders from customers and arrange pickup of freight and cargo for delivery to loading platform. Prepare and examine bills of lading to determine shipping charges and tariffs.
- Air Export Logistics Manager
- Booking Clerk
- Cargo Agent
- Cargo Router
- Container Coordinator
- Customer Service Manager
- Documentation Clerk
- Drop Shipment Clerk
- Export Traffic Department Manager
- Advise clients on transportation and payment methods.
- Track delivery progress of shipments.
- Notify consignees, passengers, or customers of freight or baggage arrival and arrange for delivery.
- Determine method of shipment and prepare bills of lading, invoices, and other shipping documents.
- Estimate freight or postal rates and record shipment costs and weights.
- Keep records of all goods shipped, received, and stored.
- Enter shipping information into a computer by hand or by a hand-held scanner that reads bar codes on goods.
- Check import or export documentation to determine cargo contents and use tariff coding system to classify goods according to fee or tariff group.
- Prepare manifests showing numbers of airplane passengers and baggage, mail, and freight weights, transmitting data to destinations.
- Negotiate and arrange transport of goods with shipping or freight companies.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $43,690.00 with most people making between $26,640.00 and $61,690.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 11,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 14,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 280 openings due to growth and about 280 replacement openings for approximately 560 total annual openings.
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeSan Bernardino Valley College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeSan Diego Miramar College
majorTraffic, Customs, and Transportation Clerk/Technician
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
collegeAmerican River College
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetCounter and Rental Clerks