Weigh, measure, and check materials, supplies, and equipment for the purpose of keeping relevant records. Duties are primarily clerical by nature. Includes workers who collect and keep record of samples of products or materials.
- Aircraft Shipping Checker
- Balance Weigher
- Bean Weigher
- Billet Checker
- Booking Prizer
- Box Car Checker
- Brand Recorder
- Broadcast Checker
- Bullion Weigher
- Cane Weigher
- Collect or prepare measurement, weight, or identification labels; and attach them to products.
- Document quantity, quality, type, weight, test result data, and value of materials or products, in order to maintain shipping, receiving, and production records and files.
- Compare product labels, tags, or tickets, shipping manifests, purchase orders, and bills of lading to verify accuracy of shipment contents, quality specifications, and/or weights.
- Count or estimate quantities of materials, parts, or products received or shipped.
- Weigh or measure materials, equipment, or products to maintain relevant records, using volume meters, scales, rules, and/or calipers.
- Communicate with customers and vendors to exchange information regarding products, materials, and services.
- Compute product totals and charges for shipments.
- Collect product samples and prepare them for laboratory analysis or testing.
- Unload or unpack incoming shipments.
- Operate scalehouse computers to obtain weight information about incoming shipments such as those from waste haulers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $28,440.00 with most people making between $18,490.00 and $43,610.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 13,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 15,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 210 openings due to growth and about 520 replacement openings for approximately 730 total annual openings.
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
majorAdministrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
collegeCalifornia Baptist University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeNaval Postgraduate School
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorData Entry/Microcomputer Applications, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California