Perform secretarial duties using legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, motions, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
- Accredited Legal Secretary
- Administrative Assistant
- Certified Legal Secretary Specialist
- Confidential Secretary
- District Court Administrator
- Executive Secretary
- Judicial Administrative Assistant
- Law Secretary
- Legal Administrative Assistant
- Legal Administrative Secretary
- Prepare and process legal documents and papers, such as summonses, subpoenas, complaints, appeals, motions, and pretrial agreements.
- Mail, fax, or arrange for delivery of legal correspondence to clients, witnesses, and court officials.
- Receive and place telephone calls.
- Organize and maintain law libraries, documents, and case files.
- Schedule and make appointments.
- Make photocopies of correspondence, documents, and other printed matter.
- Assist attorneys in collecting information such as employment, medical, and other records.
- Draft and type office memos.
- Complete various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
- Prepare and distribute invoices to bill clients or pay account expenses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $50,790 with most people making between $27,760 and $76,990
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 30,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 31,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 90 openings due to growth and about 410 replacement openings for approximately 500 total annual openings.
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Statement Clerks
- Brokerage Clerks
- License Clerks
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
- Insurance Policy Processing Clerks
collegeAmerican River College
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorMedical Administrative/Executive Assistant and Medical Secretary
majorLegal Administrative Assistant/Secretary
onetParalegals and Legal Assistants
collegeLos Angeles City College