Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
- Administrative Aide
- Administrative and Program Specialist
- Administrative Assistant
- Administrative Associate
- Administrative Clerk
- Administrative Coordinator
- Administrative Liaison
- Administrative Resources Associate
- Administrative Secretary
- Administrative Specialist
- Use computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing.
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Create, maintain, and enter information into databases.
- Set up and manage paper or electronic filing systems, recording information, updating paperwork, or maintaining documents, such as attendance records, correspondence, or other material.
- Operate office equipment, such as fax machines, copiers, or phone systems and arrange for repairs when equipment malfunctions.
- Greet visitors or callers and handle their inquiries or direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Maintain scheduling and event calendars.
- Complete forms in accordance with company procedures.
- Schedule and confirm appointments for clients, customers, or supervisors.
- Make copies of correspondence or other printed material.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $38,170.00 with most people making between $23,100.00 and $55,970.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 168,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 177,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 910 openings due to growth and about 2,260 replacement openings for approximately 3,170 total annual openings.
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Procurement Clerks
- Court Clerks
- License Clerks
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Executive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
- Legal Secretaries
- Insurance Claims Clerks
onetExecutive Secretaries and Executive Administrative Assistants
collegeAbram Friedman Occupational Center
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetReceptionists and Information Clerks
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
onetOffice Clerks, General
majorAdministrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
majorExecutive Assistant/Executive Secretary
collegeVentura Adult and Continuing Education