Operate data entry device, such as keyboard or photo composing perforator. Duties may include verifying data and preparing materials for printing.
- Adjusto-Writer Operator
- Administrative Assistant
- Audograph Operator
- Automatic Operator
- Billing Clerk
- Braille Operator
- Braille Typist
- Card Puncher
- Card Punching Machine Operator
- Check Processor
- Read source documents such as canceled checks, sales reports, or bills, and enter data in specific data fields or onto tapes or disks for subsequent entry, using keyboards or scanners.
- Compile, sort and verify the accuracy of data before it is entered.
- Compare data with source documents, or re-enter data in verification format to detect errors.
- Store completed documents in appropriate locations.
- Locate and correct data entry errors, or report them to supervisors.
- Maintain logs of activities and completed work.
- Select materials needed to complete work assignments.
- Load machines with required input or output media such as paper, cards, disks, tape or Braille media.
- Resolve garbled or indecipherable messages, using cryptographic procedures and equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $31,880.00 with most people making between $20,970.00 and $44,610.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 23,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 22,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 410 replacement openings for approximately 410 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeUniversity of California-Merced
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
onetCustomer Service Representatives
majorData Entry/Microcomputer Applications, General
majorBusiness/Office Automation/Technology/Data Entry
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegePomona Unified School District Adult and Career Education
onetOffice Clerks, General