Format typescript and graphic elements using computer software to produce publication-ready material.
- Advertising Associate
- Art Director
- Computer Compositor
- Computer Operator
- Computer Publisher
- Computer Typesetter
- Creative Director
- Design Editor
- Desk Top Publisher
- Desktop Publishing Specialist
- Check preliminary and final proofs for errors and make necessary corrections.
- Operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out, and produce camera-ready copy.
- Position text and art elements from a variety of databases in a visually appealing way to design print or web pages, using knowledge of type styles and size and layout patterns.
- Convert various types of files for printing or for the Internet, using computer software.
- Transmit, deliver or mail publication master to printer for production into film and plates.
- Study layout or other design instructions to determine work to be done and sequence of operations.
- Enter digitized data into electronic prepress system computer memory, using scanner, camera, keyboard, or mouse.
- View monitors for visual representation of work in progress and for instructions and feedback throughout process, making modifications as necessary.
- Import text and art elements such as electronic clip-art or electronic files from photographs that have been scanned or produced with a digital camera, using computer software.
- Collaborate with graphic artists, editors and writers to produce master copies according to design specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Support and Recognition in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $45,610.00 with most people making between $22,750.00 and $69,630.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorAnimation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics and Special Effects
majorCinematography and Film/Video Production
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorPrepress/Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging Design
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
onetMultimedia Artists and Animators
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeSolano Community College