Read transcript or proof type setup to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors. Includes proofreaders of Braille.
- Assistant Editor
- Braille Proofreader
- Clerical Proofreader
- Content Editor
- Copy Editor
- Copy Holder
- Copy Preparer
- Copy Reader
- Correct or record omissions, errors, or inconsistencies found.
- Mark copy to indicate and correct errors in type, arrangement, grammar, punctuation, or spelling, using standard printers' marks.
- Read corrected copies or proofs in order to ensure that all corrections have been made.
- Compare information or figures on one record against same data on other records, or with original copy, to detect errors.
- Consult reference books or secure aid of readers to check references with rules of grammar and composition.
- Route proofs with marked corrections to authors, editors, typists, or typesetters for correction and/or reprinting.
- Measure dimensions, spacing, and positioning of page elements (copy and illustrations) in order to verify conformance to specifications, using printer's ruler.
- Read proof sheets aloud, calling out punctuation marks and spelling unusual words and proper names.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $45,490.00 with most people making between $27,090.00 and $70,730.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
onetMedical Records and Health Information Technicians
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of San Diego
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetOffice Clerks, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorCourt Reporting/Court Reporter
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General