Grade, sort, or classify unprocessed food and other agricultural products by size, weight, color, or condition.
- Agricultural Establishment Grader Inspector
- Agricultural Establishment Inspector-Grader
- Agricultural Produce Sorter
- Agriculture Laborer
- Apple Inspector
- Apple Sorter
- Apple Turner
- Asparagus Buncher
- Banana Expert
- Banana Grader
- Grade and sort products according to factors such as color, species, length, width, appearance, feel, smell, and quality to ensure correct processing and usage.
- Discard inferior or defective products and/or foreign matter, and place acceptable products in containers for further processing.
- Weigh products or estimate their weight, visually or by feel.
- Place products in containers according to grade and mark grades on containers.
- Record grade and/or identification numbers on tags or on shipping, receiving, or sales sheets.
- Separate fiber tufts between fingers to assess strength, uniformity, and cohesive quality of fibers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $19,500 with most people making between $17,230 and $23,820
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 17,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 18,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 70 openings due to growth and about 420 replacement openings for approximately 490 total annual openings.
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
- Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Foundry Mold and Coremakers
- Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Helpers--Production Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
majorAgricultural/Farm Supplies Retailing and Wholesaling
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeLurleen B Wallace Community College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles