Use nets, fishing rods, traps, or other equipment to catch and gather fish or other aquatic animals from rivers, lakes, or oceans, for human consumption or other uses. May haul game onto ship.
- Abalone Fisherman
- Albacore Fishing Boat Crewman
- Bait Man
- Billet Cutter
- Blue Crabber
- Boat Deckhand
- Boat Officer
- Boat Puller
- Steer vessels and operate navigational instruments.
- Put fishing equipment into the water and anchor or tow equipment, according to the fishing method used.
- Maintain engines, fishing gear, and other on-board equipment; and perform minor repairs.
- Sort, pack, and store catch in holds with salt and ice.
- Remove catches from fishing equipment and measure them to ensure compliance with legal size.
- Locate fish, using fish-finding equipment.
- Return undesirable or illegal catches to the water.
- Pull and guide nets, traps, and lines onto vessels, by hand or using hoisting equipment.
- Direct fishing operations, and supervise fishing crew members.
- Signal other workers to move, hoist, and position loads.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
California wage information is not available
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
onetFarmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
majorWildlife, Fish and Wildlands Science and Management
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorMarine Biology and Biological Oceanography
onetHunters and Trappers
onetFish and Game Wardens
collegeHumboldt State University