Directly supervise and coordinate activities of construction or extraction workers.
- Acoustical Tile Carpenters Supervisor
- Adjustable Steel Joist Setting Supervisor
- Asbestos Removal Supervisor
- Asphalt Paving Supervisor
- Assistant Construction Superintendent
- Awning Hanger Supervisor
- Bailer Operators Supervisor
- Bailer Tenders Supervisor
- Bank Boss
- Billposting Supervisor
- Supervise, coordinate, or schedule the activities of construction or extractive workers.
- Read specifications, such as blueprints, to determine construction requirements or to plan procedures.
- Inspect work progress, equipment, or construction sites to verify safety or to ensure that specifications are met.
- Locate, measure, and mark site locations or placement of structures or equipment, using measuring and marking equipment.
- Coordinate work activities with other construction project activities.
- Assign work to employees, based on material or worker requirements of specific jobs.
- Estimate material or worker requirements to complete jobs.
- Confer with managerial or technical personnel, other departments, or contractors to resolve problems or to coordinate activities.
- Order or requisition materials or supplies.
- Analyze worker or production problems and recommend solutions, such as improving production methods or implementing motivational plans.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $75,170.00 with most people making between $46,180.00 and $111,270.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 46,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 56,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,000 openings due to growth and about 1,060 replacement openings for approximately 2,060 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Food Service Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Aquacultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
- Ship and Boat Captains
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
collegeGadsden State Community College
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeSan Francisco State University
majorBuilding/Construction Site Management/Manager
collegeCalifornia State University-East Bay
majorConstruction Trades, General