Build stone structures, such as piers, walls, and abutments. Lay walks, curbstones, or special types of masonry for vats, tanks, and floors.
- Artificial Stone Applicator
- Banker Mason
- Brick Mason
- Composition Stone Applicator
- Curbstone Setter
- Flagstone Layer
- Formstone Fitter
- Granite Block Paver
- Granite Setter
- Lay out wall patterns or foundations, using straight edge, rule, or staked lines.
- Shape, trim, face and cut marble or stone preparatory to setting, using power saws, cutting equipment, and hand tools.
- Set vertical and horizontal alignment of structures, using plumb bob, gauge line, and level.
- Mix mortar or grout and pour or spread mortar or grout on marble slabs, stone, or foundation.
- Remove wedges, fill joints between stones, finish joints between stones, using a trowel, and smooth the mortar to an attractive finish, using a tuck pointer.
- Set stone or marble in place, according to layout or pattern.
- Clean excess mortar or grout from surface of marble, stone, or monument, using sponge, brush, water, or acid.
- Lay brick to build shells of chimneys and smokestacks or to line or reline industrial furnaces, kilns, boilers and similar installations.
- Replace broken or missing masonry units in walls or floors.
- Smooth, polish, and bevel surfaces, using hand tools and power tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $45,920.00 with most people making between $28,110.00 and $64,940.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Printing Press Operators
onetSheet Metal Workers
onetHunters and Trappers
collegeGadsden State Community College
collegeAtlanta Technical College
majorMechatronics, Robotics, and Automation Engineering
collegeJacksonville State University