Apply blocks, strips, or sheets of shock-absorbing, sound-deadening, or decorative coverings to floors.
- Asphalt Tile Floor Layer
- Composition Floor Layer
- Composition Floor Setter
- Composition Tile Layer
- Cork Floor Installer
- Floor Covering Contractor
- Floor Covering Layer
- Floor Coverings Installer
- Floor Layer
- Floor Layer Apprentice
- Sweep, scrape, sand, or chip dirt and irregularities to clean base surfaces, correcting imperfections that may show through the covering.
- Cut flooring material to fit around obstructions.
- Inspect surface to be covered to ensure that it is firm and dry.
- Trim excess covering materials, tack edges, and join sections of covering material to form tight joint.
- Form a smooth foundation by stapling plywood or Masonite over the floor or by brushing waterproof compound onto surface and filling cracks with plaster, putty, or grout to seal pores.
- Measure and mark guidelines on surfaces or foundations, using chalk lines and dividers.
- Cut covering and foundation materials, according to blueprints and sketches.
- Roll and press sheet wall and floor covering into cement base to smooth and finish surface, using hand roller.
- Apply adhesive cement to floor or wall material to join and adhere foundation material.
- Determine traffic areas and decide location of seams.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $48,850 with most people making between $28,880 and $77,330
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Etchers and Engravers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeBevill State Community College
collegeBishop State Community College
collegeGadsden State Community College
majorCarpet, Floor, and Tile Worker