Apply hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
- Acoustical Carpenter
- Acoustical Installer
- Acoustical Material Worker
- Ceramic Tile Installer
- Ceramic Tile Mechanic
- Ceramic Tile Setter
- Floor Layer Tile
- Granite Installer
- Hard Tile Setter
- Hard Tile Setter Apprentice
- Cut and shape tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
- Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural and floor designs.
- Align and straighten tile using levels, squares and straightedges.
- Determine and implement the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
- Measure and mark surfaces to be tiled, following blueprints.
- Finish and dress the joints and wipe excess grout from between tiles, using damp sponge.
- Cut, surface, polish and install marble and granite or install pre-cast terrazzo, granite or marble units.
- Mix, apply, and spread plaster, concrete, mortar, cement, mastic, glue or other adhesives to form a bed for the tiles, using brush, trowel and screed.
- Apply mortar to tile back, position the tile and press or tap with trowel handle to affix tile to base.
- Level concrete and allow to dry.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $41,680.00 with most people making between $22,960.00 and $64,780.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 11,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 14,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 270 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 520 total annual openings.
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Plasterers and Stucco Masons
- Mechanical Door Repairers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Patternmakers, Wood
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Painters, Transportation Equipment
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeJames H Faulkner State Community College
collegeGadsden State Community College
collegeJacksonville State University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorCarpet, Floor, and Tile Worker