Apply a mixture of cement, sand, pigment, or marble chips to floors, stairways, and cabinet fixtures to fashion durable and decorative surfaces.
- Artificial Marble Worker
- Cement Finisher
- Granite-Chip Terrazzo Finisher
- Marble-Chip Terrazzo Worker
- Master Journeyman Tile Setter
- Onyx-Chip Terrazzo Worker
- Rustic Terrazzo Setter
- Template Worker
- Terrazo Tile Setter
- Measure designated amounts of ingredients for terrazzo or grout according to standard formulas and specifications, using graduated containers and scales, and load ingredients into portable mixer.
- Cut metal division strips and press them into the terrazzo base for joints or changes of color to form designs or patterns or to help prevent cracks.
- Blend marble chip mixtures, place into panels, and push a roller over the surface to embed the chips.
- Grind surfaces with a power grinder or polish surfaces with polishing or surfacing machines.
- Modify mixing, grouting, grinding, or cleaning procedures, according to type of installation or material used.
- Grind curved surfaces or areas inaccessible to surfacing machine, such as stairways or cabinet tops, with portable hand grinder.
- Spread, level, or smooth concrete or terrazzo mixtures to form bases or finished surfaces, using rakes, shovels, hand or power trowels, hand or power screeds, or floats.
- Mold expansion joints and edges, using edging tools, jointers, or straightedges.
- Wash polished terrazzo surface, using cleaner and water, and apply sealer and curing agent according to manufacturer's specifications, using brush or sprayer.
- Mix cement, sand, and water to produce concrete, grout, or slurry, using hoe, trowel, tamper, scraper, or concrete-mixing machine.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $42,740.00 with most people making between $23,770.00 and $64,820.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,200 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
majorCarpet, Floor, and Tile Worker
collegeGeorge C Wallace State Community College-Dothan
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of California-Santa Cruz
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeCalifornia State University-Fullerton
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation