Operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tampers, tamping machine operators, and stone spreader operators.
- Asphalt Distributor Tender
- Asphalt Paver
- Asphalt Paver Operator
- Asphalt Paving Machine Operator
- Asphalt Raker
- Asphalt Roller Operator
- Asphalt Roller Person
- Asphalt Screed Operator
- Asphalt Spreader Operator
- Asphalt Surface Heater Operator
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Control traffic.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- Operate tamping machines or manually roll surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Start machine, engage clutch, and push and move levers to guide machine along forms or guidelines and to control the operation of machine attachments.
- Fill tanks, hoppers, or machines with paving materials.
- Set up and tear down equipment.
- Coordinate truck dumping.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $54,190.00 with most people making between $33,590.00 and $80,910.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 100 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 190 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Segmental Pavers
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
collegeUniversity of Alabama at Birmingham
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorMobil Crane Operation/Operator
collegeShelton State Community College
onetOperating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeTexas Tech University