Operate pile drivers mounted on skids, barges, crawler treads, or locomotive cranes to drive pilings for retaining walls, bulkheads, and foundations of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and piers.
- Crane Operator
- Diesel Pile Hammer Operator
- Heavy Equipment Operator
- Hoisting Pile Driving Engineer
- Hydraulic Pile Hammer Operator
- Hydraulic Press-In Operator
- Nozzle Operator
- Operating Engineer
- Pile Driver
- Pile Driver Engineer
- Move hand and foot levers of hoisting equipment to position piling leads, hoist piling into leads, and position hammers over pilings.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Drive pilings to provide support for buildings or other structures, using heavy equipment with a pile driver head.
- Move levers and turn valves to activate power hammers, or to raise and lower drophammers that drive piles to required depths.
- Clean, lubricate, and refill equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $76,200.00 with most people making between $47,130.00 and $92,660.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Locomotive Firers
- Loading Machine Operators, Underground Mining
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
collegeShelton State Community College
majorMobil Crane Operation/Operator
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
collegeSoutheastern Bible College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeAlabama A & M University
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers