Seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering.
- Drywall Finisher
- Drywall Taper
- Sheet Rock Taper
- Wall Taper
- Remove extra compound after surfaces have been covered sufficiently.
- Spread sealing compound between boards or panels or over cracks, holes, nail heads, or screw heads, using trowels, broadknives, or spatulas.
- Press paper tape over joints to embed tape into sealing compound and to seal joints.
- Mix sealing compounds by hand or with portable electric mixers.
- Spread and smooth cementing material over tape, using trowels or floating machines to blend joints with wall surfaces.
- Seal joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surfaces for painting or papering.
- Sand or patch nicks or cracks in plasterboard or wallboard.
- Use mechanical applicators that spread compounds and embed tape in one operation.
- Apply additional coats to fill in holes and make surfaces smooth.
- Install metal molding at wall corners to secure wallboard.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $52,540.00 with most people making between $28,830.00 and $83,300.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 6,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 8,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 200 openings due to growth and about 170 replacement openings for approximately 370 total annual openings.
- Carpet Installers
- Construction Laborers
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Helpers--Pipelayers, Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
collegeLoma Linda University
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
collegeGeorgia College & State University
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetHunters and Trappers
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach