Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints.
- Cast-Iron Drain Pipe Layer
- Construction Laborer
- Construction Worker
- Drain Layer
- Drain Tiler
- Equipment Operator
- Irrigation System Installer
- Irrigation Technician
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Cut pipes to required lengths.
- Install or repair sanitary or stormwater sewer structures or pipe systems.
- Install or use instruments such as lasers, grade rods, or transit levels.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $55,610.00 with most people making between $31,680.00 and $78,830.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 90 openings due to growth and about 110 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeCity College of San Francisco
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeJefferson State Community College