Help electricians by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Apprentice Electrician
- Automotive Electrician Helper
- Cable Puller
- Electrical Apprentice
- Electrical Assistant
- Electrical Helper
- Electrical Sign Wirer Helper
- Electrician Apprentice
- Electrician Assistant
- Measure, cut, and bend wire and conduit, using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- Trace out short circuits in wiring, using test meter.
- Strip insulation from wire ends, using wire stripping pliers, and attach wires to terminals for subsequent soldering.
- Examine electrical units for loose connections and broken insulation and tighten connections, using hand tools.
- Construct controllers and panels, using power drills, drill presses, taps, saws and punches.
- Drill holes and pull or push wiring through openings, using hand and power tools.
- Clean work area and wash parts.
- Maintain tools, vehicles, and equipment and keep parts and supplies in order.
- Transport tools, materials, equipment, and supplies to work site by hand, handtruck, or heavy, motorized truck.
- Install copper-clad ground rods, using a manual post driver.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $33,460.00 with most people making between $18,120.00 and $56,720.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 80 openings due to growth and about 110 replacement openings for approximately 190 total annual openings.
- Construction Laborers
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeNorthwest Shoals Community College-Muscle Shoals
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
collegePennsylvania College of Technology
majorComputer Hardware Engineering
majorElectrical/Electronics Equipment Installation and Repair, General
collegeGadsden State Community College