Help plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, or pipelayers by performing duties requiring less skill. Duties include using, supplying or holding materials or tools, and cleaning work area and equipment.
- Apprentice Plumber
- Drain Technician
- Gas Fitter
- Gas Main Fitter Helper
- Hydraulic Plumber Helper
- Industrial Gas Fitter Helper
- Irrigation Installation Specialist
- Irrigation Technician
- Measure, cut, thread and assemble new pipe, placing the assembled pipe in hangers or other supports.
- Cut or drill holes in walls or floors to accommodate the passage of pipes.
- Perform rough-ins, repair and replace fixtures and water heaters, and locate, repair, or remove leaking or broken pipes.
- Assist pipe fitters in the layout, assembly, and installation of piping for air, ammonia, gas, and water systems.
- Cut pipe and lift up to fitters.
- Fit or assist in fitting valves, couplings, or assemblies to tanks, pumps, or systems, using hand tools.
- Requisition tools and equipment, select type and size of pipe, and collect and transport materials and equipment to work site.
- Mount brackets and hangers on walls and ceilings to hold pipes, and set sleeves or inserts to provide support for pipes.
- Excavate and grade ditches, and lay and join pipe for water and sewer service.
- Disassemble and remove damaged or worn pipe.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $42,300 with most people making between $23,290 and $85,060
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 120 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 210 total annual openings.
- Construction Laborers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Molding and Casting Workers
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeJefferson State Community College
collegeAlabama A & M University