Lay, repair, and maintain track for standard or narrow-gauge railroad equipment used in regular railroad service or in plant yards, quarries, sand and gravel pits, and mines. Includes ballast cleaning machine operators and railroad bed tamping machine operators.
- Ballast Cleaning Machine Operator
- Bridge Welder
- Emergency Service Restorer
- Line and Signal Technician
- Machine Operator
- Maintenance of Way Foreman
- Oil Distributor Tender
- Portable Grinding Machine Operator
- Rail Maintenance Worker
- Rail Track Layer
- Patrol assigned track sections so that damaged or broken track can be located and reported.
- Clean tracks or clear ice or snow from tracks or switch boxes.
- Repair or adjust track switches, using wrenches and replacement parts.
- Lubricate machines, change oil, or fill hydraulic reservoirs to specified levels.
- Dress and reshape worn or damaged railroad switch points or frogs, using portable power grinders.
- Cut rails to specified lengths, using rail saws.
- Raise rails, using hydraulic jacks, to allow for tie removal and replacement.
- Adjust controls of machines that spread, shape, raise, level, or align track, according to specifications.
- Drill holes through rails, tie plates, or fishplates for insertion of bolts or spikes, using power drills.
- Grind ends of new or worn rails to attain smooth joints, using portable grinders.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $49,710.00 with most people making between $38,390.00 and $66,180.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
majorRailroad and Railway Transportation
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeShelton State Community College
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
collegeBirmingham Southern College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician