Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or drains. May patch walls and partitions of tank, replace damaged drain tile, or repair breaks in underground piping.
- Drain Cleaner
- Electric Sewer Cleaning Machine Operator
- Maintenance Worker
- Pipe Cleaning and Priming Machine Operator
- Pipe Cleaning Machine Operator
- Public Works Technician
- Roto Rooter Operator
- Septic Cleaner
- Septic Pump Truck Driver
- Drive trucks to transport crews, materials, and equipment.
- Communicate with supervisors and other workers, using equipment such as wireless phones, pagers, or radio telephones.
- Prepare and keep records of actions taken, including maintenance and repair work.
- Operate sewer cleaning equipment, including power rodders, high velocity water jets, sewer flushers, bucket machines, wayne balls, and vac-alls.
- Ensure that repaired sewer line joints are tightly sealed before backfilling begins.
- Withdraw cables from pipes and examine them for evidence of mud, roots, grease, and other deposits indicating broken or clogged sewer lines.
- Install rotary knives on flexible cables mounted on machine reels, according to the diameters of pipes to be cleaned.
- Measure excavation sites, using plumbers' snakes, tapelines, or lengths of cutting heads within sewers, and mark areas for digging.
- Locate problems, using specially designed equipment, and mark where digging must occur to reach damaged tanks or pipes.
- Clean and repair septic tanks, sewer lines, or related structures such as manholes, culverts, and catch basins.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $40,230.00 with most people making between $23,640.00 and $62,530.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Carpet Installers
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
collegeRio Hondo College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeCentral Alabama Community College
majorPlumbing and Related Water Supply Services, Other
collegeJ F Ingram State Technical College
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers