Operate equipment to increase oil flow from producing wells or to remove stuck pipe, casing, tools, or other obstructions from drilling wells. May also perform similar services in mining exploration operations. Includes fishing-tool technicians.
- Cement Pump Operator
- Coil Tubing Operator
- Derrick Hand
- Equipment Operator
- Fishing Tool Operator
- Fishing Tool Supervisor
- Oil and Gas Field Technician
- Oil and Shale and Tar Processing Technician
- Observe load variations on strain gauges, mud pumps, and motor pressure indicators; and listen to engines, rotary chains, and other equipment in order to detect faulty operations or unusual well conditions.
- Confer with others to gather information regarding pipe or tool sizes or borehole conditions in wells.
- Drive truck-mounted units to well sites.
- Install pressure-control devices onto wellheads.
- Thread cables through derrick pulleys, using hand tools.
- Operate pumps that circulate water, oil, or other fluids through wells to remove sand or other materials obstructing the free flow of oil.
- Close and seal wells no longer in use.
- Operate controls that raise derricks or level rigs.
- Direct drilling crews performing activities such as assembling and connecting pipe, applying weights to drill pipes, or drilling around lodged obstacles.
- Perforate well casings or sidewalls of boreholes with explosive charges.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $53,360.00 with most people making between $38,670.00 and $80,510.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Pump Operators, Except Wellhead Pumpers
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
collegeMohave Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeGeorgia College & State University
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeBevill State Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers