Assemble or repair oil field equipment using hand and power tools. Perform other tasks as needed.
- Cathead Operator
- Connection Worker
- Derrick Hand
- Derrick Worker
- Dumper-Bailer Operator
- Floor Hand
- Galley Hand
- Gang Worker
- Gun Perforator Loader
- Keep pipe deck and main deck areas clean and tidy.
- Unscrew or tighten pipes, casing, tubing, and pump rods, using hand and power wrenches and tongs.
- Walk flow lines to locate leaks, using electronic detectors and by making visual inspections, and repair the leaks.
- Move pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
- Bolt together pump and engine parts.
- Guide cranes to move loads about decks.
- Supply equipment to rig floors as requested, and provide assistance to roughnecks.
- Dismantle and repair oil field machinery, boilers, and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
- Clean up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Dig drainage ditches around wells and storage tanks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $36,450.00 with most people making between $23,200.00 and $55,800.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,800 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 60 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
collegeCentral Alabama Community College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
majorHeating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
collegeRio Hondo College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers