Repair, maintain, or install computers, word processing systems, automated teller machines, and electronic office machines, such as duplicating and fax machines.
- Accounting Machine Mechanic
- Adding Machine Mechanic
- Assembly Technician
- ATM Servicer
- Bookkeeping Machine Mechanic
- Business Machine Mechanic
- Business Machine Mechanic Apprentice
- Calculating Machine Mechanic
- Cash Register Mechanic
- Cash Register Servicer
- Converse with customers to determine details of equipment problems.
- Reassemble machines after making repairs or replacing parts.
- Travel to customers' stores or offices to service machines or to provide emergency repair service.
- Reinstall software programs or adjust settings on existing software to fix machine malfunctions.
- Advise customers concerning equipment operation, maintenance, or programming.
- Test new systems to ensure that they are in working order.
- Assemble machines according to specifications, using hand or power tools and measuring devices.
- Operate machines to test functioning of parts or mechanisms.
- Maintain records of equipment maintenance work or repairs.
- Install and configure new equipment, including operating software or peripheral equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $43,080.00 with most people making between $26,130.00 and $63,220.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 17,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 18,800 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 130 openings due to growth and about 430 replacement openings for approximately 560 total annual openings.
- Manufacturing Production Technicians
- Agricultural Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Radio Mechanics
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
- Freight and Cargo Inspectors
collegeVentura Adult and Continuing Education
majorHeating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
majorComputer Installation and Repair Technology/Technician
collegeSan Diego City College
onetElectrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
collegeOkefenokee Technical College
majorBusiness Machine Repair
majorAircraft Powerplant Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks