Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, dairy equipment, and irrigation systems.
- Agricultural Equipment Mechanic
- Agricultural Mechanic
- Agricultural Technician
- Assembly Repairer
- Combine Mechanic
- Dairy Equipment Installer
- Dairy Equipment Mechanic
- Dairy Equipment Repairer
- Diesel Mechanic
- Diesel Technician
- Record details of repairs made and parts used.
- Reassemble machines and equipment following repair; test operation; and make adjustments as necessary.
- Maintain, repair, and overhaul farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, and irrigation systems.
- Examine and listen to equipment, read inspection reports, and confer with customers to locate and diagnose malfunctions.
- Dismantle defective machines for repair, using hand tools.
- Test and replace electrical components and wiring, using test meters, soldering equipment, and hand tools.
- Repair or replace defective parts, using hand tools, milling and woodworking machines, lathes, welding equipment, grinders, or saws.
- Clean and lubricate parts.
- Tune or overhaul engines.
- Drive trucks to haul tools and equipment for on-site repair of large machinery.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $40,440 with most people making between $23,040 and $58,080
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeLong Beach City College
majorAgricultural Mechanics and Equipment/Machine Technology
majorDiesel Mechanics Technology/Technician
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeJ F Ingram State Technical College