Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, recreational sporting equipment and related equipment.
- Chain Saw Mechanic
- Edge Trimmer Mechanic
- Electric Golf Cart Repairers
- Electric Wheelchair Repairer
- Engine Mechanic
- Engine Repairer, Production
- Engine Repairer, Service
- Engine Service Repairer
- Garden Equipment Mechanic
- Garden Implement Mechanic
- Repair and maintain gasoline engines used to power equipment such as portable saws, lawn mowers, generators, and compressors.
- Adjust points, valves, carburetors, distributors, and spark plug gaps, using feeler gauges.
- Reassemble engines after repair or maintenance work is complete.
- Record repairs made, time spent, and parts used.
- Perform routine maintenance such as cleaning and oiling parts, honing cylinders, and tuning ignition systems.
- Obtain problem descriptions from customers, and prepare cost estimates for repairs.
- Test and inspect engines to determine malfunctions, to locate missing and broken parts, and to verify repairs, using diagnostic instruments.
- Repair or replace defective parts such as magnetos, water pumps, gears, pistons, and carburetors, using hand tools.
- Sell parts and equipment.
- Show customers how to maintain equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $36,000.00 with most people making between $24,430.00 and $52,150.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Home Appliance Repairers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorSmall Engine Mechanics and Repair Technology/Technician
majorDiesel Mechanics Technology/Technician
majorHeating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeShelton State Community College
collegeJ F Ingram State Technical College
collegeBishop State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation