Install, service, or repair automatic door mechanisms and hydraulic doors. Includes garage door mechanics.
- Automated Access Systems Technician
- Automatic Door Mechanic
- Commercial Door Installer
- Commercial Service Technician
- Door and Operator Technician
- Door Closer Mechanic
- Door Installer
- Door Serviceman
- Door Technician
- Garage Door Installer
- Adjust doors to open or close with the correct amount of effort or make simple adjustments to electric openers.
- Wind large springs with upward motion of arm.
- Inspect job sites, assessing headroom, side room, or other conditions to determine appropriateness of door for a given location.
- Collect payment upon job completion.
- Complete required paperwork, such as work orders, according to services performed or required.
- Fasten angle iron back-hangers to ceilings and tracks, using fasteners or welding equipment.
- Repair or replace worn or broken door parts, using hand tools.
- Carry springs to tops of doors, using ladders or scaffolding, and attach springs to tracks to install spring systems.
- Set doors into place or stack hardware sections into openings after rail or track installation.
- Remove or disassemble defective automatic mechanical door closers, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $47,930.00 with most people making between $27,600.00 and $72,840.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators
collegeAtlantic University College
onetAutomotive Body and Related Repairers
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeAllan Hancock College
collegeLorenzo Walker Institute of Technology
collegeCentral Alabama Community College
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
majorAircraft Powerplant Technology/Technician