Repair, install, adjust, or maintain industrial production and processing machinery or refinery and pipeline distribution systems.
- Comb Maker
- Anode Rebuilder
- Appliance Fixer
- Appliance Mechanic
- Appliance Repairer
- Apprentice, Machinist, Outside
- Area Mechanic
- Automatic Pinsetter Adjuster
- Automotive Maintenance Equipment Servicer
- Aviation Support Equipment Repairer
- Disassemble machinery or equipment to remove parts and make repairs.
- Repair or replace broken or malfunctioning components of machinery or equipment.
- Repair or maintain the operating condition of industrial production or processing machinery or equipment.
- Examine parts for defects, such as breakage or excessive wear.
- Reassemble equipment after completion of inspections, testing, or repairs.
- Observe and test the operation of machinery or equipment to diagnose malfunctions, using voltmeters or other testing devices.
- Operate newly repaired machinery or equipment to verify the adequacy of repairs.
- Clean, lubricate, or adjust parts, equipment, or machinery.
- Analyze test results, machine error messages, or information obtained from operators to diagnose equipment problems.
- Record repairs and maintenance performed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $54,920 with most people making between $33,350 and $79,920
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 19,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 24,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 510 openings due to growth and about 370 replacement openings for approximately 880 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Gas Plant Operators
collegeGadsden State Community College
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno