Install, dismantle, or move machinery and heavy equipment according to layout plans, blueprints, or other drawings.
- Automated Equipment Engineer-Technician
- Automated Equipment Engineering Technician
- Automobile Equipment Engineer Technician
- Automobile Equipment Technician Engineer
- Construction Millwright
- Field Service Technician
- Gear Repairer
- Industrial Machine Assembler
- Installation Service Representative
- Machine Erector
- Insert shims, adjust tension on nuts and bolts, or position parts, using hand tools and measuring instruments, to set specified clearances between moving and stationary parts.
- Align machines and equipment, using hoists, jacks, hand tools, squares, rules, micrometers, and plumb bobs.
- Assemble and install equipment, using hand tools and power tools.
- Lay out mounting holes, using measuring instruments, and drill holes with power drill.
- Signal crane operator to lower basic assembly units to bedplate, and align unit to centerline.
- Replace defective parts of machine or adjust clearances and alignment of moving parts.
- Level bedplate and establish centerline, using straightedge, levels, and transit.
- Dismantle machines, using hammers, wrenches, crowbars, and other hand tools.
- Attach moving parts and subassemblies to basic assembly unit, using hand tools and power tools.
- Move machinery and equipment, using hoists, dollies, rollers, and trucks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $56,900.00 with most people making between $33,880.00 and $83,990.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Commercial Divers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
collegeShelton State Community College
collegeGadsden State Community College
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeNortheast Alabama Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology