Install and repair telecommunications cable, including fiber optics.
- Aerial Installer
- Block Cableman
- Broadband Technician
- Cable Crew Backhoe Operator
- Cable Inspector
- Cable Installer
- Cable Layer
- Cable Maintenance Splicer
- Cable Mechanic
- Cable Repairer
- Travel to customers' premises to install, maintain, or repair audio and visual electronic reception equipment or accessories.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Splice cables, using hand tools, epoxy, or mechanical equipment.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Set up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment.
- Place insulation over conductors or seal splices with moisture-proof covering.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension.
- Install equipment such as amplifiers or repeaters to maintain the strength of communications transmissions.
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $58,120.00 with most people making between $32,130.00 and $75,160.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 17,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 19,800 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 220 openings due to growth and about 320 replacement openings for approximately 540 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Power Plant Operators
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
majorTruck and Bus Driver/Commercial Vehicle Operator and Instructor
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeCalifornia State University-Sacramento
majorCommunications Systems Installation and Repair Technology
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeChattahoochee Technical College
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College