Repair and open locks; make keys; change locks and safe combinations; and install and repair safes.
- Certified Master Locksmith (CML)
- Certified Master Safe Technician (CMST)
- Certified Master Safecracker (CMS)
- Certified Registered Locksmith (CRL)
- Forensic Locksmith
- Key Maker
- Lock Expert
- Lock Fitter
- Lock Setter
- Cut new or duplicate keys, using keycutting machines.
- Cut new or duplicate keys using impressions or code key machines.
- Disassemble mechanical or electrical locking devices, and repair or replace worn tumblers, springs, and other parts, using hand tools.
- Keep records of company locks and keys.
- Set up and maintain master key systems.
- Insert new or repaired tumblers into locks to change combinations.
- Install door hardware such as locks and closers.
- Open safe locks by drilling.
- Move picklocks in cylinders to open door locks without keys.
- Install alarm and electronic access systems.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $45,620.00 with most people making between $27,510.00 and $64,550.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 120 total annual openings.
- Manufacturing Production Technicians
- Log Graders and Scalers
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Motorcycle Mechanics
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
majorAvionics Maintenance Technology/Technician
majorHeating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorLocksmithing and Safe Repair
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College