Set up or repair rigging for construction projects, manufacturing plants, logging yards, ships and shipyards, or for the entertainment industry.
- Acrobatic Rigger
- Boat Rigger
- Crane Operator
- Crane Rigger
- Fly Rail Operator
- Gantry Rigger
- Gear Repairer
- Hand Rigger
- Heavy Lift Rigger
- Signal or verbally direct workers engaged in hoisting and moving loads, in order to ensure safety of workers and materials.
- Test rigging to ensure safety and reliability.
- Attach loads to rigging to provide support or prepare them for moving, using hand and power tools.
- Select gear such as cables, pulleys, and winches, according to load weights and sizes, facilities, and work schedules.
- Control movement of heavy equipment through narrow openings or confined spaces, using chainfalls, gin poles, gallows frames, and other equipment.
- Tilt, dip, and turn suspended loads to maneuver over, under, and/or around obstacles, using multi-point suspension techniques.
- Align, level, and anchor machinery.
- Fabricate, set up, and repair rigging, supporting structures, hoists, and pulling gear, using hand and power tools.
- Manipulate rigging lines, hoists, and pulling gear to move or support materials such as heavy equipment, ships, or theatrical sets.
- Attach pulleys and blocks to fixed overhead structures such as beams, ceilings, and gin pole booms, using bolts and clamps.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $51,640.00 with most people making between $33,860.00 and $66,890.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Structural Iron and Steel Workers
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Wellhead Pumpers
majorWelding Engineering Technology/Technician
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeGeorge C Wallace State Community College-Hanceville
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science