Help installation, maintenance, and repair workers in maintenance, parts replacement, and repair of vehicles, industrial machinery, and electrical and electronic equipment. Perform duties such as furnishing tools, materials, and supplies to other workers; cleaning work area, machines, and tools; and holding materials or tools for other workers.
- Air Conditioner Installer Helper
- Air-Conditioner Window Unit Installer-Servicer Helper
- Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic Helper
- Armature Winder Repair Helper
- Assistant HVAC Mechanic
- Automobile Body Repairer Helper
- Automobile Mechanic Helper
- Automotive Electrical Helper
- Blacksmith Assistant
- Transfer tools, parts, equipment, and supplies to and from work stations and other areas.
- Disassemble broken or defective equipment to facilitate repair and reassemble equipment when repairs are complete.
- Install or replace machinery, equipment, and new or replacement parts and instruments, using hand or power tools.
- Examine and test machinery, equipment, components, and parts for defects to ensure proper functioning.
- Hold or supply tools, parts, equipment, and supplies for other workers.
- Position vehicles, machinery, equipment, physical structures, and other objects for assembly or installation, using hand tools, power tools, and moving equipment.
- Adjust, maintain, and repair tools, equipment, and machines, and assist more skilled workers with similar tasks.
- Adjust, connect, or disconnect wiring, piping, tubing, and other parts, using hand or power tools.
- Clean or lubricate vehicles, machinery, equipment, instruments, tools, work areas, and other objects, using hand tools, power tools, and cleaning equipment.
- Assemble and maintain physical structures, using hand or power tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $29,480.00 with most people making between $18,220.00 and $49,800.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 13,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 15,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 220 openings due to growth and about 600 replacement openings for approximately 820 total annual openings.
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
collegeLawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus
majorAutomobile/Automotive Mechanics Technology/Technician
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorIndustrial Mechanics and Maintenance Technology
collegeHeritage Christian University
collegeJ F Drake State Technical College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks