Fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products.
- Cage Maker, Machine
- Computer Numerical Control Programmer / Operator (CNC Programmer / Operator)
- Fabricator Assembler Metal Products
- Ground Support Equipment Assembler
- Hand Former
- Layout Man
- Metal Box Maker
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following blueprints and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.
- Set up and operate fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses, to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form and assemble metal components.
- Lay out and examine metal stock or workpieces to be processed to ensure that specifications are met.
- Tack-weld fitted parts together.
- Lift or move materials and finished products, using large cranes.
- Remove high spots and cut bevels, using hand files, portable grinders, and cutting torches.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2013, the average annual wage in California was $38,190 with most people making between $23,460 and $59,460
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 7,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 8,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 100 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 240 total annual openings.
onetWelders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeBishop State Community College
majorMachine Shop Technology/Assistant
collegeJefferson Davis Community College
collegeJohn C Calhoun State Community College
collegeGeorgia College & State University