Mix and bake ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods.
- Bagel Maker
- Baker Apprentice
- Baker, Manufacturing
- Bakery Chef
- Bakery Clerk
- Bakery Manager
- Bench Hand
- Bread Baker
- Bread Divider
- Observe color of products being baked and adjust oven temperatures, humidity, or conveyor speeds accordingly.
- Set oven temperatures and place items into hot ovens for baking.
- Combine measured ingredients in bowls of mixing, blending, or cooking machinery.
- Measure or weigh flour or other ingredients to prepare batters, doughs, fillings, or icings, using scales or graduated containers.
- Roll, knead, cut, or shape dough to form sweet rolls, pie crusts, tarts, cookies, or other products.
- Place dough in pans, molds, or on sheets and bake in production ovens or on grills.
- Check the quality of raw materials to ensure that standards and specifications are met.
- Adapt the quantity of ingredients to match the amount of items to be baked.
- Apply glazes, icings, or other toppings to baked goods, using spatulas or brushes.
- Check equipment to ensure that it meets health and safety regulations and perform maintenance or cleaning, as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $26,300 with most people making between $18,050 and $39,430
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 20,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 23,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 310 openings due to growth and about 600 replacement openings for approximately 910 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers, Transportation Equipment
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Etchers and Engravers
onetChefs and Head Cooks
collegeLong Beach City College
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCity College of San Francisco
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
majorFood Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant