Cut, trim, or prepare consumer-sized portions of meat for use or sale in retail establishments.
- Butcher Apprentice
- Butcher Assistant
- Halal Butcher
- Journeyman Meat Cutter
- Kosher Butcher
- Market Manager
- Meat Butcher
- Wrap, weigh, label and price cuts of meat.
- Prepare and place meat cuts and products in display counter, so they will appear attractive and catch the shopper's eye.
- Prepare special cuts of meat ordered by customers.
- Cut, trim, bone, tie, and grind meats, such as beef, pork, poultry, and fish, to prepare meat in cooking form.
- Receive, inspect, and store meat upon delivery, to ensure meat quality.
- Shape, lace, and tie roasts, using boning knife, skewer, and twine.
- Estimate requirements and order or requisition meat supplies to maintain inventories.
- Supervise other butchers or meat cutters.
- Record quantity of meat received and issued to cooks and/or keep records of meat sales.
- Negotiate with representatives from supply companies to determine order details.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $30,240.00 with most people making between $18,450.00 and $46,080.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 19,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 23,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 360 openings due to growth and about 570 replacement openings for approximately 930 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Short Order
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
onetChefs and Head Cooks
collegeInstitute for Business and Technology
majorMeat Cutting/Meat Cutter
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeEast San Gabriel Valley Regional Occupational Program