Set up and operate equipment that mixes or blends ingredients used in the manufacturing of food products. Includes candy makers and cheese makers.
- Almond Paste Mixer
- Batch Blender
- Batch Maker
- Batch Mixer
- Batching Operator
- Batter Mixer
- Blender Operator
- Record production and test data for each food product batch, such as the ingredients used, temperature, test results, and time cycle.
- Follow recipes to produce food products of specified flavor, texture, clarity, bouquet, or color.
- Set up, operate, and tend equipment that cooks, mixes, blends, or processes ingredients in the manufacturing of food products, according to formulas or recipes.
- Mix or blend ingredients, according to recipes, using a paddle or an agitator, or by controlling vats that heat and mix ingredients.
- Clean and sterilize vats and factory processing areas.
- Select and measure or weigh ingredients, using English or metric measures and balance scales.
- Turn valve controls to start equipment and to adjust operation to maintain product quality.
- Press switches and turn knobs to start, adjust, and regulate equipment such as beaters, extruders, discharge pipes, and salt pumps.
- Observe gauges and thermometers to determine if the mixing chamber temperature is within specified limits, and turn valves to control the temperature.
- Observe and listen to equipment to detect possible malfunctions, such as leaks or plugging, and report malfunctions or undesirable tastes to supervisors.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $27,660.00 with most people making between $18,080.00 and $43,030.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 16,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 17,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 130 openings due to growth and about 450 replacement openings for approximately 580 total annual openings.
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers
- Semiconductor Processors
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
collegeSouthwest Minnesota State University
collegeMadison Area Technical College
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorFood Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
onetChefs and Head Cooks