Set up, operate, or tend machines to extrude or draw thermoplastic or metal materials into tubes, rods, hoses, wire, bars, or structural shapes.
- Core Extruder
- Core Shaper
- Draw Machine Operator
- Drawbench Operator
- Extruder Operator
- Extruding Press Adjuster
- Extruding Press Operator
- Extrusion Mechanic
- Extrusion Press Adjuster
- Change dies on extruding machines according to production line changes.
- Measure and examine extruded products in order to locate defects, and to check for conformance to specifications; adjust controls as necessary to alter products.
- Determine setup procedures and select machine dies and parts, according to specifications.
- Install dies, machine screws, and sizing rings on machines that extrude thermoplastic or metal materials.
- Start machines and set controls to regulate vacuum, air pressure, sizing rings, and temperature, and to synchronize speed of extrusion.
- Replace worn dies when products vary from specifications.
- Reel extruded products into rolls of specified lengths and weights.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and make minor repairs to equipment.
- Clean work areas.
- Adjust controls to draw or press metal into specified shapes and diameters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $28,360 with most people making between $18,560 and $40,630
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 4,800 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
collegeDelaware County Community College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorMachine Tool Technology/Machinist
collegePennsylvania College of Technology
collegeUniversity of Southern California