Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
- Abrasive Worker
- Air Grinder
- Aluminum Polisher
- Automatic Grinder Operator
- Axle Bearing Polisher
- Axle Polisher
- Balance Screwhead Polisher
- Band Reamer Machine Operator
- Band Saw Filer
- Barrel Centerer
- Inspect or measure finished workpieces to determine conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as gauges or micrometers.
- Lift and position workpieces, manually or with hoists, and secure them in hoppers or on machine tables, faceplates, or chucks, using clamps.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
- Observe machine operations to detect any problems; make necessary adjustments to correct problems.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, utilizing knowledge of machine operation.
- Measure workpieces and lay out work, using precision measuring devices.
- Select machine tooling to be used, utilizing knowledge of machine and production requirements.
- Study blueprints, work orders, or machining instructions to determine product specifications, tool requirements, and operational sequences.
- Mount and position tools in machine chucks, spindles, or other tool holding devices, using hand tools.
- Activate machine start-up switches to grind, lap, hone, debar, shear, or cut workpieces, according to specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $29,550 with most people making between $18,740 and $44,590
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 8,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 8,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeTexas Tech University
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorMachine Tool Technology/Machinist
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks