Set up and operate digital, letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, or other printing machines. Includes short-run offset printing presses.
- 1st Pressman
- 2nd Pressman
- 3rd Pressman
- Aniline Press Worker
- Assistant Offset Press Operator
- Back Up Machine Operator
- Bag Press Operator
- Bag Printer
- Balloon Design Printer
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions.
- Verify that paper and ink meet the specifications for a given job.
- Start presses and pull proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration.
- Change press plates, blankets, or cylinders, as required.
- Obtain or mix inks and fill ink fountains.
- Feed paper through press cylinders and adjust feed and tension controls.
- Load presses with paper and make necessary adjustments, according to paper size.
- Secure printing plates to printing units and adjust tolerances.
- Clean ink fountains, plates, or printing unit cylinders when press runs are completed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $36,680 with most people making between $20,320 and $57,110
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 17,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 14,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 340 replacement openings for approximately 340 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators
majorPrinting Press Operator
collegeReading Area Community College
collegeLanier Technical College
onetPrepress Technicians and Workers
onetSheet Metal Workers
collegeGwinnett Technical College
collegeLouisiana State University Eunice
onetPrint Binding and Finishing Workers
majorHeating, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and Refrigeration Maintenance Technology/Technician
majorGraphic and Printing Equipment Operator, General Production