Bind books and other publications or finish printed products by hand or machine. May set up binding and finishing machines.
- Binder Operator
- Bindery Cutter Operator
- Bindery Folder Operator
- Bindery Helper
- Bindery Machine Operator
- Bindery Machine Setter/Set-Up Operator
- Bindery Machine Tender
- Bindery Operator
- Bindery Production Manager
- Set up or operate machines that perform binding operations, such as pressing, folding, or trimming.
- Apply color to edges of signatures using brushes, pads, or atomizers.
- Bind new books, using hand tools such as bone folders, knives, hammers, or brass binding tools.
- Compress sewed or glued signatures, using hand presses or smashing machines.
- Cut binder boards to specified dimensions, using board shears, hand cutters, or cutting machines.
- Cut cover material to specified dimensions, fitting and gluing material to binder boards by hand or machine.
- Design original or special bindings for limited editions or other custom binding projects.
- Form book bodies by folding and sewing printed sheets to form signatures and assembling signatures in numerical order.
- Imprint or emboss lettering, designs, or numbers on book covers, using gold, silver, or colored foil, and stamping machines.
- Insert book bodies in devices that form back edges of books into convex shapes and produce grooves that facilitate cover attachment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $30,130.00 with most people making between $19,480.00 and $44,100.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Floor Layers, Except Carpet, Wood, and Hard Tiles
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Printing Press Operators
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorAccounting Technology/Technician and Bookkeeping
onetPrinting Press Operators
onetDental Laboratory Technicians
onetPrepress Technicians and Workers
majorEmergency Care Attendant (EMT Ambulance)
majorHydrology and Water Resources Science
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
collegeJames Madison University
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
collegeDe Anza College