Press or shape articles by hand or machine.
- All-Around Presser
- Armhole Presser
- Automatic Presser
- Bobbin Presser
- Brim and Crown Presser
- Brim Presser
- Buffing Wheel Presser
- Calender Machine Operator
- Clothes Ironer
- Operate steam, hydraulic, or other pressing machines to remove wrinkles from garments and flatwork items, or to shape, form, or patch articles.
- Lower irons, rams, or pressing heads of machines into position over material to be pressed.
- Remove finished pieces from pressing machines and hang or stack them for cooling, or forward them for additional processing.
- Hang, fold, package, and tag finished articles for delivery to customers.
- Slide material back and forth over heated, metal, ball-shaped forms to smooth and press portions of garments that cannot be satisfactorily pressed with flat pressers or hand irons.
- Select appropriate pressing machines, based on garment properties such as heat tolerance.
- Push and pull irons over surfaces of articles to smooth or shape them.
- Finish pleated garments, determining sizes of pleats from evidence of old pleats or from work orders, using machine presses or hand irons.
- Straighten, smooth, or shape materials to prepare them for pressing.
- Finish pants, jackets, shirts, skirts and other dry-cleaned and laundered articles, using hand irons.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $22,170 with most people making between $17,900 and $28,420
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 8,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 9,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Food Batchmakers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
collegeChattahoochee Valley Community College
collegeUniversity of West Alabama
collegeAntelope Valley College
majorAircraft Powerplant Technology/Technician
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorHydrology and Water Resources Science
collegeUniversity of South Alabama
majorDrama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts, General
majorPlant Nursery Operations and Management
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers