Operate or tend a variety of machines to join, decorate, reinforce, or finish shoes and shoe parts.
- Anchor Operator
- Ankle Patch Molder
- Apron Trimmer
- Arch Cushion Press Operator
- Back Closer
- Back Stayer
- Study work orders and/or shoe part tags to obtain information about workloads, specifications, and the types of materials to be used.
- Remove and examine shoes, shoe parts, and designs to verify conformance to specifications such as proper embedding of stitches in channels.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance such as cleaning and lubricating machines or replacing broken needles.
- Cut excess thread or material from shoe parts, using scissors or knives.
- Turn screws to regulate size of staples.
- Align parts to be stitched, following seams, edges, or markings, before positioning them under needles.
- Turn setscrews on needle bars, and position required numbers of needles in stitching machines.
- Switch on machines, then lower pressure feet or rollers to secure parts and start machine stitching, using hand, foot, or knee controls.
- Collect shoe parts from conveyer belts or racks and place them in machinery such as ovens or on molds for dressing, returning them to conveyers or racks to send them to the next work station.
- Position dies on material in a manner that will obtain the maximum number of parts from each portion of material.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $20,500.00 with most people making between $17,750.00 and $24,070.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
collegeCommunity College of the Air Force
collegeThe University of Alabama
majorGeneral Office Occupations and Clerical Services
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeModesto Junior College
collegeSoutheastern School of Cosmetology
majorMusic Performance, General