Operate or tend machines to bleach, shrink, wash, dye, or finish textiles or synthetic or glass fibers.
- Ager Operator
- Ager Tender
- Aging Box Hand
- Ammonia Box Operator
- Ammonia Box Tender
- Ash Kier Boiler
- Autoclave Operator
- Back Washer
- Bag Bleacher
- Add dyes, water, detergents, or chemicals to tanks to dilute or strengthen solutions, according to established formulas and solution test results.
- Notify supervisors or mechanics of equipment malfunctions.
- Adjust equipment controls to maintain specified heat, tension, and speed.
- Observe display screens, control panels, equipment, and cloth entering or exiting processes to determine if equipment is operating correctly.
- Prepare dyeing machines for production runs, and conduct test runs of machines to ensure their proper operation.
- Monitor factors such as temperatures and dye flow rates to ensure that they are within specified ranges.
- Start and control machines and equipment to wash, bleach, dye, or otherwise process and finish fabric, yarn, thread, and/or other textile goods.
- Examine and feel products to identify defects and variations from coloring and other processing standards.
- Record production information such as fabric yardage processed, temperature readings, fabric tensions, and machine speeds.
- Test solutions used to process textile goods to detect variations from standards.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $22,110.00 with most people making between $17,550.00 and $30,000.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorAutobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeHeritage Christian University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
majorMassage Therapy/Therapeutic Massage