Set up, operate, or tend machines that cut textiles.
- Automatic Die Cutting Machine Operator
- Automatic Label Cutting and Folding Machine Operator
- Band and Cuff Cutter
- Band Cutter
- Band Saw Operator
- Barrel Drum Cutter
- Bedspread Cutter
- Bias Cutting Machine Operator
- Binding Cutter
- Blanket Cutting Machine Operator
- Place patterns on top of layers of fabric and cut fabric following patterns, using electric or manual knives, cutters, or computer numerically controlled cutting devices.
- Notify supervisors of mechanical malfunctions.
- Repair or replace worn or defective parts or components, using hand tools.
- Adjust cutting techniques to types of fabrics and styles of garments.
- Inspect machinery to determine whether repairs are needed.
- Adjust machine controls, such as heating mechanisms, tensions, and/or speeds to produce specified products.
- Inspect products to ensure that specifications are met and to determine whether machines require adjustment.
- Confer with coworkers to obtain information about orders, processes, or problems.
- Start machines, monitor operations, and make adjustments as needed.
- Clean, oil, and lubricate machines, using air hoses, cleaning solutions, rags, oilcans, and grease guns.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $23,330.00 with most people making between $17,670.00 and $33,510.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 3,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
collegeUniversity of New Hampshire-Main Campus
collegeCalifornia State University-East Bay
majorAgricultural Power Machinery Operation
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorAnimal/Livestock Husbandry and Production
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeBishop State Community College
majorFarm/Farm and Ranch Management
onetCounter and Rental Clerks