Set up, operate, or tend machines that knit, loop, weave, or draw in textiles.
- Automatic Full-Fashioned Hosiery Knitting Machine Operator
- Automatic Pad-Making Machine Operator
- Axminster Weaver
- Belt Weaver
- Blanket Weaver
- Braid Pattern Setter
- Broadloom Weaver
- Carpet Loom Fixer
- Carpet Weaver
- Cloth Weaver
- Remove defects in cloth by cutting and pulling out filling.
- Inspect products to ensure that specifications are met and to determine if machines need adjustment.
- Observe woven cloth to detect weaving defects.
- Thread yarn, thread, and fabric through guides, needles, and rollers of machines for weaving, knitting, or other processing.
- Examine looms to determine causes of loom stoppage, such as warp filling, harness breaks, or mechanical defects.
- Notify supervisors or repair staff of mechanical malfunctions.
- Set up, or set up and operate textile machines that perform textile processing and manufacturing operations such as winding, twisting, knitting, weaving, bonding, and/or stretching.
- Start machines, monitor operations, and make adjustments as needed.
- Inspect machinery to determine whether repairs are needed.
- Record information about work completed and machine settings.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $21,620.00 with most people making between $17,390.00 and $29,900.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 1,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Food Batchmakers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Furniture Finishers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeTexas Tech University
collegeJ F Ingram State Technical College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers